The Housing Executive in Northern Ireland has a number of legal responsibilities surrounding homelessness. These include:
- investigating the circumstances of people who are homeless
- providing temporary accommodation
- providing furniture storage to people who are deemed homeless
- making reasonable offers of permanent accommodation
- writing to people who have failed to be deemed homeless
- providing advice and assistance to people who are worried about homelessness.
There are about 15,000 homeless people and individuals in Northern Ireland, including the elderly, according to the Housing Executive. Annual expenditure on homelessness services in Northern Ireland is over £35m per year, of which approximately £13m is for homelessness services in Belfast for more information click here This link takes you to a BBC report, which highlights the impact and challenges faced by homeless people in Northern Ireland click here